Photograph the raw emotion of live Flamenco while learning how to play with movement and shutter speed with Kate Vredevoogd, a local music journalist and fine art photographer. In this experience, we will visit the cave homes of the Sacromonte and dive deep into the history and culture of Flamenco music followed by an exquisite traditional Mediterranean dinner in the tucked away gardens of a Flamenco Tablao.
- Flamenco is an important pillar of Spain’s identity. Experienced the grit of the gypsy culture that created Flamenco.
- Get insights into a curious and closed-off art and people with a local music photographer who has truly immersed herself in the culture.
- Learn how to photograph the intensity and emotion of Flamenco music and dance.
This tour is for anyone interested in exploring unique sub-cultures and learning about different approaches to music photography. We will explore concepts related to documentary photography as well as different approaches to low-light concert photography.
- Visit the cave homes in the Sacromonte where flamenco music thrives.
- Walk through the Albayzin village to a traditional Flamenco Tablao and enjoy a delicious three course Andalusian meal in the garden.
- Discuss concepts and techniques related to concert and performance photography, and learn about ways to make your images more unique and powerful, using the difficult lighting situations to your advantage.
- Enjoy a live Flamenco performance with some time to put your new concepts to practice. Create beautiful and unique images for your portfolio or simply to show your friends and family.
The Fountain at Plaza Nueva
A camera with a high ISO and any of your favorite lenses that perform well in low light. I use 24mm, 50mm and 85mm prime lenses, but we will work with whatever you’ve got.
Medium, we will be doing some walking (although public transport is always an option if the heat or the hills are uncomfortable for you)
It is very important to be respectful of the performers. I will explain some common courtesy norms when photographing concerts and events.
This experience is available Saturdays and Sundays year round. An early option with a lunch show, a dinner show or a late dinner show are options. The duration can be extended or condensed on request.
» Kate’s work in Lensculture